COMM121: Introduction to Mass Communications

Welcome to the Spring 2009 edition of Intro to Mass Communications.  Here is a link to your course wiki page.  Remember that you need to log in to post to either the wiki or the blog!

Friday, February 27, 2009

Drug Companies

Huh! That's a little interesting.  I wonder where your dermatologist receives most of his/her pay from.  I mean surly no doctor would implement only one treatment or kind of medicine just because some drug company gave him/her a little extra money, or promised him/her anything. http://blogs.mercola.com/sites/vitalvotes/archive/2007/04/30/Is-Your-Doctor-Being-PAID-OFF-by-the-Drug-Industry.aspx According to this article virtually 94% of the doctors taken in this serve admitted to having some kind of relationship with the drug companies. And most of them met with a representative from a pharmaceutical company at least 16 times a month. I mean sure maybe not all of the doctors recieved money but just free samples, but I'm sure that no real doctor would take the generosity of the drug company into consideration when they are prescribing medicine. So they way the medicine world works is that the drug companies pay the doctors who then prescribe the medicine to patients who then pay the drug companies for the medicine so that the drug companies can pay off the doctors to prescribe the drug companies' medicines back to us. Isn't America beautiful!

1 comment:

  1. The link wouldn't work, so I couldn't read the article, but I think it's really interesting that you mentioned the relationship between doctors and pharmaceutical (sp?) companies. My mom has worked at a doctor's office for about 9 months, and you wouldn't believe all of the free stuff they would get from the reps. Everything from pens to lotion to notepads to magnets to hand soap (yep-handsoap. I was the proud owner of NuvaRing antibacterial soap for about a month-until it ran out). And, as of January 1, 2009, it is illegal for the companies to give free stuff like that to doctors' offices (Now, they can only give away actual drugs. Now I'm the proud recipient of unlimited Advil liqui-gel sample packs).

    Makes you think, huh? Maybe it was influencing the doctors more than we know? I'm with you, Nathan; I'd like to think my doctor wouldn't push one medication/treatment because of the benefit HE/SHE receives, but I guess we just dont know. I'll ask my mom if she knew of any types of "special" relationships between the doctors in her office and the reps.

    ReplyDelete