COMM121: Introduction to Mass Communications

Welcome to the Spring 2009 edition of Intro to Mass Communications.  Here is a link to your course wiki page.  Remember that you need to log in to post to either the wiki or the blog!

Friday, February 6, 2009


As I read the article Why Johnny Can’t Dissent, I noticed a common theme: rebellion. It mention a lot of rebellion in the corporate world of setting companies apart through outlandish tactics that would turn their way of advertising around. Companies even went as far to convince the consumer that by taking part in their product or listening to their music, they would be individualizing themselves and rebelling against the norm.
Now, I don’t have much experience in the corporate world and being a “rebel” there, but I have been a sucker for their slogans and advertisements. Mostly make-up advertisements like Maybelline and their slogan: “Maybe she’s born with it… maybe its Maybelline”, and L’Oreal’s “Because you’re worth it”, who have me, and several other hundreds of women, that when we use their product we can achieve the flawless looks that their brand advertises.
Besides my weakness for make-up and their empty promises, I do have experience in going to high school… and my observations of the “rebels” there. To be a rebel, as the article says, is to stand out from the crowd and go against the norm and what society deems as a “regular lifestyle”. However, when I think of rebels at my school what I picture in my head and what I saw would be something similar to this picture up above.
When I look at this, I see a definite act of going against what people would consider the norm, but if these kids are rebelling and trying to stand out in the crowd, then why do they look so similar within their crowd. Can you truly rebel against something if everyone else is doing it too?

No comments:

Post a Comment