COMM121: Introduction to Mass Communications

Welcome to the Spring 2009 edition of Intro to Mass Communications.  Here is a link to your course wiki page.  Remember that you need to log in to post to either the wiki or the blog!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

As I messed around on YouTube I found another Dove ad that was very interesting. Did you know that Dove and Axe are made by the same manufacture? Dove has been known to tell parents to “talk to their daughters about beauty before the beauty industry does” and at the same time they create very sexual ads for Axe. I found this very interesting since the barely dressed women in the Axe commercials were probably deferred from the beauty talk by their parents and encouraged from the beauty industry that is trying to fight for “true beauty”. I was going to upload that video… but it wouldn’t work. So I found this video about “true colors” in girls, but it reminded me of the documentary that we watched in class. Is Dove really appreciating these girls’ differences and the aspects that they see as flaws… or is Dove just helping point out their flaws?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, fascinating, that never occurred to me. Again, this is one of those examples how unless you connect the dots between a brand and its parent corporation, you miss their hypocrisy. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete