COMM121: Introduction to Mass Communications

Welcome to the Spring 2009 edition of Intro to Mass Communications.  Here is a link to your course wiki page.  Remember that you need to log in to post to either the wiki or the blog!

Friday, April 17, 2009

I am actually reading a book right now called First Light where it follows this privilege family as they are under a technological blackout- everything is gone from their wrist watches to their cars to their every common form of communication. It’s a very interesting book and I don’t know how it ends yet, but it makes me realize how dependent I am on technology as well as everyone else. I didn’t realize that the media via technology that I absorb everyday was practically handpicked by the same people globally. I find it interesting that on pg 236 it mentions how the same conglomerates such as Disney, Viacom, Fox, GE and News Corporation have a monopoly over telecommunications, television, news print, the Web, entertainment and amusement venues as well as food, oil, and clothing industries. It’s no wonder that those companies always remain the ones in charge- they have continuous access to promote their other products through their numerous other outlets. Though they are diverse outlets- I found it interesting and surprising that they are not run by a diverse people. On the next page it stated that only a few thousand are responsible for what is shown on television, therefore diverse television marketing is not for a specific geographic demographic but based upon “institutional incentives”.

No comments:

Post a Comment